Lice are an extremely common, extremely irritating problem. What can start as just a few head lice can quickly turn into an infestation, so it’s no surprise that lice patients are willing to try almost anything to get the little critters out. The most popular at-home remedies include using things like peanut butter or mayonnaise to kill the parasites, but these methods are far from effective. As a result, many people opt for a chemical treatment, hoping for a quick fix. What most people don’t know is that many chemical lice treatments have a high potential to be harmful to both the body and the environment.
Lindane lice shampoo
Possibly one of the most popular chemical remedies for head lice is Lindane lice shampoo. What may appear on the shelf to be a harmless, quick, and easy fix to your lice problem is actually a bottle of high potency pesticide. This second-line lice treatment has been classified by professionals as extremely hazardous. The pesticide contained in the shampoo is banned in 52 countries, and rightfully so. The chemical in the shampoo is a neurotoxin that when absorbed through the skin of the lice, causes paralysis and eventually death. What they don’t mention on the bottle is that this same neurotoxin can be absorbed by human skin as well, potentially leading to some serious health issues. This toxin can cause damage to the nervous system, kidneys, and to your liver. The US has only banned its use agriculturally, yet it is still used to clean the hair of small children. On top of all that, the bottle doesn’t come with warnings, and there is controversy surrounding the actual effectiveness of the shampoo.
Carylderm is a slightly less common treatment for headlice. This chemical is a hazardous pesticide as well, so obviously there is a risk involved with this method of treatment. When doing tests on rats, it was observed that this chemical was responsible for causing cell mutation. Scientists believe that if the pesticide were to be accidentally ingested by a human patient, they would likely experience some of the same cell-mutating that the rats did.
This medication, taken in pill form, is considerably safer than the two previously mentioned, though it is reserved for patients that have head lice infestations. This treatment contains Ivermectin, the same chemical used to treat heartworms in dogs. Though it isn’t as dangerous as the chemicals previously mentioned, side effects include dizziness, headaches, and diarrhea
Found in almost every lice treatment kit, is the chemical permethrin. This chemical is advertised as both safe for your hair and for your home, but as it turns out, this isn’t exactly the case. This chemical is a neurotoxin that targets the nervous system of the lice, causing spasms, paralysis, and then death. The bottle warns us that if the chemical comes in contact with the skin, it should be rinsed off immediately, and if it is inhaled, then you may lose the ability to breathe. On top of that, there are multiple side effects including weakness, irritation, and nausea.
Lice Clinics of America in Green Bay, Wisconsin
Lice Clinics Of America is a lice treatment center dedicated to chemical-free treatment for head lice. We offer a guaranteed, same-day lice treatment at all of our lice removal locations. If you want to learn more about lice or our chemical-free lice treatment, contact our lice treatment center of America at our Green Bay location today.